Thursday, March 16, 2006

A Fool and Her Money are Soon Parted


Instead of giving up her failing campaign for the U.S. Senate from Florida, Katherine Harris has announced that, hell, no, not only is she not pulling out, but she's spending TEN MILLION DOLLARS of her own recently inherited money.

A defiant Katherine Harris took to the cable airwaves Wednesday to declare she's staying in the U.S. Senate race, pledging to boost her beleaguered campaign with $10 million left to her by her late father.

It was a nationally televised gesture meant to quash nearly two weeks of rampant speculation over her campaign, which has struggled to gain traction and campaign dollars since it began last summer.

''Let me answer the burning questions,'' the Sarasota Republican congresswoman said in a largely sympathetic interview with Fox News Channel talk-show host Sean Hannity. ``I'm in this race and I'm going to win.''

Harris vowed to put ''everything on the line'' for the race in which she remains an underdog to unseat U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson -- the only Democrat to hold statewide office in Florida.

''Not just my future and my reputation, my father's name,'' Harris said. ``I'm going to take his legacy he gave to me, everything that I have and I'm going to put it into this race.

''When I lost him,'' she said of her father, George Harris, who died in January, ``I said I would win this for my father.''

[snip]

[P]olls suggest that Harris lags at least 20 points behind Nelson.

Democrats are doing the happy dance because ain't no one wants KHarr, not the Republican party, and not the voters.

Nobody loves you, everybody hates you, and ten million dollars would buy you a lot of worms to eat.

But it's your money to part with, Katherine.

Update: I got an e-mail "from" John Kerry -- I get those from time to time -- pointing out that Nelson no longer has a financial advantage over Harris. I hadn't looked at it that way. So, of course, they're raising money.

Let me think about that for a few days, John, and see how it plays out. If it looks like Bill really needs my bucks to beat daddy's girl, I'll write a check.

No comments: