Monday, April 23, 2007

Instantaneous (Lack of) Gratification

At 4:50 a student e-mailed everyone in the class (including me) to see if she could borrow a book to read tomorrow’s assignment.

At 4:57 she wrote to me to complain that no one had answered her e-mail and what was she to do? By the way, I already had responded, offering my book. I wrote back and offered the book a second time.

I’m trying not to laugh. It's 5:02. Why hasn't she responded to my twice-made offer yet???

When we don’t get what we want, it should fail to come immediately, yes?

(Edit: over an hour later, she still hasn't responded to my two e-mails. Imagine that.)

2 comments:

AMorris said...

...and folks wonder why it is a problem when there aren't enough visas left for foreign engineers to come here and work. Victims of comfort.

Bitty said...

How odd. I left a comment here on my own blog and it disappeared.

???