Saturday, August 30, 2008

Don't Ask; I Won't Tell

General note to the world and at least one person in particular:

Don't ask how I'm doing if you don't want to hear the answer.

Fortunately for you, I have a lot of miles on me, and I've developed a few skills. I can pick up quickly that, even though you asked about what I've been up to, it was only social courtesy, and you do not give two figs about what's going on in my life (after I heard all about yours in excruciating detail). Fortunately for you, I gave you the short version of my situation.

Really, I'm more bemused than offended.

But if you don't want to hear it, don't ask. I won't tell.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have taken great pains to burden this person with every minute detail of my life. It would be like pinning a loathsome, wriggling insect to a corkboard.

And deep inside, I'd laugh. And laugh.

But the path you took is probably better.

Bitty said...

It was more time-efficient for me, in any event!

I'm convinced it would have no effect on this kind of person, except to leave her with the impression that I am a bore!

Anyway, I enjoyed reading your little fantasy there, even if I didn't employ it.