Friday, August 26, 2005

Buh-bye, little running man



It's over. It's been coming for a long time.

I tried my best to make it work. I was patient, even though you were holding me back. I kept telling myself to hang in there, that you were enough for me, that I didn't need more than I already had at home, that I should honor our commitment, that the grass isn't really greener and all that.

I was just fooling myself.

Bad enough that my partnership with you interfered with my relationships with my friends and family, but once it threatened my livelihood, I had to face my years of denial.

You're just not able to meet my needs anymore -- and little running man, a woman does have needs.

You took it better than I expected. However, when I told you I already had someone else, someone who is taking me places in ways that -- little running man, I hate to be hurtful, but my new partner does things for me that you just...couldn't...imagine -- when I told you this, you shocked me by suggesting that we continue to see one another. Little running man, I'm a one-partner woman. Yes, I've found another, but I let you know right away.

Even when I said no, no, we're through, you suggested we could get back together if it doesn't work out with my new partner. Really, I don't think so.

You said you'd write and try to win me back; you said you'd keep my name on the mailbox. That's sweet, but now it's time for you to face your denial.

I'm sure there's someone out there for you still, someone who doesn't mind living life at a slow pace. But that someone is no longer me.

Buh-bye, little running man. We had some good times, and I'll always have a soft spot for you. After all, you were my first. I wish you well.

No comments: