Wednesday, August 31, 2005

New Orleans: four thousand words

Like many of you, I don't know what to say. I've been through hurricanes, the worst being last year, but I've always been lucky enough to suffer minor damage...tree mess. Nothing like this.



Several smarty-pants types here and there have suggested that the people who live in the paths of hurricanes have it coming. After all, doesn't everyone know that these areas are prone to hurricanes? (And that's setting aside the viewpoints of hurricane-as-punishment-from-God types.)

Where would you have us go? Where in the country are people free from all disaster? Where are there no earthquakes, wildfires, blizzards, hurricanes? In your neighborhood, you say? Shall we indeed come live with you? I suspect you wouldn't like that any better.

I get paid tomorrow. I'll be sending some money in the direction of the Red Cross (follow this link to donate), which was kind to my friends when times were tough last year.



And if you have a few dollars left, consider this animal rescue effort. Or this one.





Our thoughts and prayers are with you, once-charming New Orleans.

(All photos come from the National Geographic website.)

No comments: