Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Garrison Keillor, my hero

I missed part of Prairie Home Companion this past weekend, so I headed on down to the show's website to see if it's available online yet. (Ah, the joys of high-speed internet and a zippy new computer!) There I encountered a furious letter from a Catholic taking Keillor to task for his poking fun at the Pope.

Keillor's response is logical and amusing and classy, but it was his closing that made me want to post about it. In fact, the idea he expresses is nothing new; I just like the way he said it:

Christ said a great deal about the poor, so one would think that's important in Christian theology, but you can make up your own mind about that. If you're outraged at a piece of comedy about the Pope and you accept with equanimity the people in your party cutting Medicaid, then you're a very interesting Christian indeed.

No comments: