Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I Fell Asleep


Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama waves to the crowd beore his presidential victory speech at a massive outdoor rally in Grant Park in Chicago on November 4, 2008. Obama spoke shortly after Republican candidate Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) gave his concession speech. (UPI Photo/Mark Cowan)



And when I awoke, the world was new.

I tried to stay awake last night, but I'd only had four hours of sleep the night before.

I hung in there until about 10 pm EST, maybe a little later. CNN's projections had Obama's electoral vote count at almost 200. So many, many states had not even been called, so I was comfortable that it was probably over, and in Obama's -- and the rest of the nation's, believe it or not, conservatives -- favor.

Yet I still tried to stay awake. I had the DVR on to record until 3 am to catch anything I might miss, so I climbed into bed and set the TV's sleep timer to run another 2 hours, intending to watch as long as I could stay awake. That's pretty much the last thing I remember...

Until I partially awoke at sometime shortly after 11 to find John McCain giving a concession speech. I was surprised it was happening so soon.

I rolled over and closed my eyes again. I knew it was safe, safe to sleep.

We're going to be all right, finally.

2 comments:

Bee said...

Bitty, you must be so, so proud of Florida. But how funny that you slept through all of the good bits! Well, not the REALLY good bit which is that the right man won.

The consensus "expert" opinion over here seems to be that the brilliance of Obama's campaign has demonstrated that he has the mettle, the temperament, and judgment to pick a good team. I hope that is true.

Bitty said...

the brilliance of Obama's campaign has demonstrated that he has the mettle, the temperament, and judgment to pick a good team.

That's exactly why I was at peace with the fact that he was the nominee. He doesn't see himself as the lone wolf hero who must live in an echo chamber or else. I think he really means "yes WE can." I doubted for a while that he'd be able to dodge whatever the McCain campaign would throw at him (thinking Swiftboating here...), but what they threw was pretty lame, and he kept his cool.

I still can't believe I slept through it -- but it wasn't over in the morning. It's only just begun.