Saturday, April 05, 2008

Bette Blackout Blues

According to Mustang Bobby, via Shakesville, Turner Classic Movies is running a "Bette-athon" to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Bette Davis' birth.

So I read this and wonder why it is I never watch Turner Classic Movies. I like classic movies.

I go look and discover that I don't get it with my service. Bummer.

This is one of the things I really, really, really, really, really don't understand about cable/satellite TV. Really. One would think that the various networks would be frantic to be on the "expanded basic" (or whatever your individual provider calls it) and would push hard/make concessions to be on that "tier." After all, the more viewers, the more commercial revenue, yes? But to get some of the channels that the cool kids watch, like TCM and MSNBC, I have to pay an additional $10-$20/month. So I don't.

Some time back when Phil was talking about Sarah Richardson's shows being on Fine Living (I watched her when she was featured prominently on HGTV), I considered upgrading, but in the end I couldn't justify an additional expense to view two or three additional desired channels when I don't have time to watch the desired channels I already have. So while I can't see the Bette-athon, Rachel Maddow, or any one of a zillion cool things on the National Geographic channel, in the end I don't think it's me who gets hurt. It's the stations who are stuck behind a economic firewall between them and me.

3 comments:

Friðvin said...

Bette Davis is a fucking GOD!

Friðvin said...

And I realize this was technically a technical post, but fuck it. Technology can blow me. As it often does....

Bitty said...

It was a serious downer for me to realize why I don't watch TCM because I was going to set the DVR to record all day. Interestingly, I think that I've made this discovery two or three times now (that I don't watch it because I don't have it).

And kona, you can comment in any direction you like. We do not have "don't hijack this thread" rules on the Back Porch. We are happy to have anyone on the thread at all. :)